Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Queen Elsa Syrup(?) Nails

No, I do not want to build a snowman... in fact, I wish it would stay summer forever!!! Don't get me wrong, I love Elsa and Anna and Olaf and the whole Frozen posse as much as the next gal, but I love me some beach time waaaay more :P


Anyway, all I'm really tryin' to say is that this did not start out as an intentional ode to Queen Elsa. But when I was done that's the only thing it made me think of! My original intention was actually to do a syrup mani, which I first saw over at Chalkboard Nails. Though relatively new to me (which is of course not surprising since I am a newb to the nail art world!) this technique seems to have been around a while. Both Rebecca Likes Nails and Polish Insomniac have nice tutorials and explanations of the syrup mani. For my mani, since I wasn't working with a true jelly it didn't quite go to plan, and I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a syrup mani.



I started with a brand new polish that I just got at Target the other day - Sinful Colors Love Nails. At $1.99 a bottle and with some beautiful colors SC is quickly becoming my favorite brand! Because this particular polish is pretty sheer I thought it might work like a jelly for a syrup mani, and I did four layers of blue, covering less and less of the nail each time. (Except on the ring finger; there I just painted it normally.) If you have no idea what I'm talking about check out the tutorials mentioned above! On top of Love Nails I covered the whole nail with Sinful Colors Hottie to help blend the gradient so it wouldn't just look like blocks/stripes of color. In the end though, you can kind of see along the cuticle that the color is lighter, but other than that I think it looks pretty consistent in color, and there's not much of a gradient happening. Oh well, I still think Queen Elsa would like it :)


Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment