Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Dot Party

As I've learned tends to happen with neons, my Shocking Pink manicure started to chip today so I decided to just re-do my nails even though it's only been two days! I normally try to go a lot longer than that, and I don't know how other people do this. It's a lot of work! :P And for those of you that paint your nails every day - you crazy!!! ;)

I started this mani with Orly White Tips which is the only white I have. It's not great but I know whites are tricky and I'm cheap so I want to use it before just buying another bottle of white polish. Anywho... then I put on one coat of Gelous to hopefully prevent the white from streaking into the dots when it came time to put on topcoat. I was going for a dot gradient look using Orly Royal Navy, OPI Flashbulb Fuchsia, China Glaze Paper Chasing, and Ulta Ultra Violet Femme. After I finished my dots I let them dry for over an hour! I was sure that I had given myself plenty of time and was confident that I wouldn't have any of the streaking problems like I did here or here... Alas! It was not meant to be :( I started with one coat of INM Northern Lights followed by one coat of SV but as soon as I put the INM on I could tell that some of the colors were streaking. The purple in particular kind of looks like it just melted, as all the dots have a bit of a haze around the edge. So then I was mad and looked like this:
Incredible Hulk illustration by WolfeHanson
Haha, just kidding! Seriously though, how do you avoid this?? I tried really hard to apply the INM with as few brushstrokes as possible but the colors still started to bleed. (Do the nail bloggers call this bleeding? Streaking?? Something else entirely???) Whatever it's called, any tips to avoid this dreadful phenomenon would be much appreciated! :)

It's still a pretty fun mani though if I do say so myself. Enjoy the pics!














No comments:

Post a Comment