Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Barney Poop

A while back while at Ulta, I succumbed to temptation and purchased a bottle of China Glaze Flying Dragon. I hadn't done any "research" on this polish but was just so in love as soon as I saw it that I had to have it! Well, when I got it home and made my swatch, my infatuation turned to hate! I couldn't believe that a polish so beautiful in the bottle - a bright magenta purple with magenta and blue micro glitters - could look like such crap when you put it on!!! It dries to a very dark, rough, matte finish, and there isn't even a hint of glitter visible. In other words, Barney Poop. Come to find out, I am not the only person to be two-timed by Flying Dragon. Apparently it is a neon (some batches are marked as neon on the label; mine is not) and for whatever Walter White chemistry reasons I don't understand, all neons dry matte. Also, mixing neon with glitter apparently results in a rough texture.

Well, after reading a bunch of reviews here, here, and here I decided to go with lots of shiny top coat and give this two-timing polish a chance. I paired it with Orly Royal Navy for a colorful french manicure. I did get a bit of cuticle drag on my middle finger - argh!!!! - but overall I like the end results. (See my first mani with Royal Navy - and my hubby's favorite! - here!) Since I don't have super steady hands yet I used some tape to get nice straight lines.

Here's what it looked like before any top coat at all.


And this actually looks better than it did in person. You can see how matte it is, but this purple is brighter than it looked in real life. After some SV though, things were much better. Enjoy the pics below!







No comments:

Post a Comment