Saturday, March 1, 2014

Nail Length

I have been working really hard since I started this blog to grow my nails long... taking special care to keep them nicely buffed and filed so as to avoid snags, peeling, and breaking; always having them polished so that they are "thicker" and less likely to break; and using OPI Nail Envy in between polishes to help make them stronger. The nails on my left hand have respectfully obeyed my wishes, and I think they look quite nice. The nails on my right hand however are unfortunately misbehaving. (Nasty little buggers!) This past week, first the nail on my pointer finger broke, then the next day the middle nail broke, then the next day the nail on my index finger broke! I couldn't believe it. This is how they look now:


I don't know what it is, maybe because I'm a Jersey girl at heart, but for whatever reason I associate long nails with nice nails. I found this interesting and informative post by Bee from BeePolished about nail length. Based on what she says, I have short nail beds. In order for nails to look "proportional", they need to be about twice as long as they are wide. So that also kind of explains why I like my nails when they are long -- my short nail beds mean they need to be grown out in order to be proportional!

As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to have to file down the nails on my left hand :( There may be a while where they don't quite look proportional, but as much as it pains me to get rid of the length on my left hand I have to admit that my hands look a bit silly with long nails on one hand and short little nails on the other. So for now I think symmetry between the hands trumps proportion :P

Tomorrow I'll show you a fresh, new mani with my new shorty nails!



No comments:

Post a Comment